Post-High School Entrance Exams
- PSATS: A pre-test for the SAT (college entrance exam) and considered a scholarship contest. Also, I recommend you consider taking it if your parents are working at Rockwell or Cargill or for a company that may have a scholarship competition that uses these test scores. Please check with your parent’s place of employment for scholarship opportunities. These are the two I know about that use these test scores. Juniors will need to sign up for this test in the counseling center by Sept 13. Since this is not a mandatory test, students who would like to take it will need to pay $15 for the test. Checks should be made out to CPU Schools. The test will be given on Wednesday, Oct. 16 starting at 11:45 at CPU High School. You will need an advance make-up for that afternoon.
- ACT: A college entrance exam for a four year college usually in the Midwest; This score, along with other data like class rank, is used to determine if a student will be eligible to enter the college or university. Score composites range from 1-36. Some four year schools are adding a writing test as an entrance requirement, however no school in Iowa is currently requiring the writing test. CPU is a testing site for the October and April testing dates. In order to register for CPU, please enter that you want to take the test at site #215940. Registration for the ACT Tests are done online at www.actstudent.org and can take up to 11/2 hours to fill out for the first time so please plan accordingly.
ACT Test Dates Registration Deadline
October 26 September 27
December 14 November 8
February 8 January 10
April 12 March 7
June 14 May 9
You can prepare for the tests on-line at www.actstudent.org,
or pick up a practice test in the counseling center.
- COMPASS OR ASSET TESTS: These are the math, reading, and English placement tests given for entry into the community college level. All students who apply with a high school diploma will get accepted into the community college but your ability to take certain courses will depend upon your compass score. As a sophomore you took the compass test. You can also take them again in your senior year at the community college if you want to use them as entrance scores.
- ASVABS: This is an aptitude test usually taken for the purpose of entering the military. The higher the score, the more job opportunities open to you. Practice ones are available on the web at www.military.com or see Mrs. Bowen.
- APPRENTICESHIPS have tests to qualify. They are program specific and need to be set up with each apprenticeship program.